Monday, February 6, 2017

constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity

Good Morning Everyone and welcome to the 2nd month of 2017. January was a busy one; I'm sure for everyone else as much as it was for me! I turned 27 a few weeks ago and with a new year starting for me, it allowed me to reflect on all the great things I did when I was 26. 

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this way; remembering who I was 10 years ago and thinking "Oh wow, when I'm 27, which is in forever from now, I will have a house, a bunch of kids, a husband, probably living back in Russell; life will be wonderful." But, that is obviously no where remotely close to where I am but I am quite okay with that. When I was younger, I thought being in my late 20s, I would have accomplished everything I had wanted and would have a family, but that is not the case. 

When you're 17, 27 feels so far away, like another planet. But as we all know, that's not the case. With age, comes responsibility, but it also allows you to be more aware of the road you're walking. I didn't think I would be single right now, but I am, and tis life. One day someone will want to deal with my crazy, hopefully.

SO, as one should do, becoming single again allowed me to focus on MYSELF, which I wish I had done my entire 20s, but I did not. I have now made a promise to myself; ALWAYS FOCUS ON YOU. Because being a better version of yourself, whether single or in a relationship, is always the better way to go. I never focused on myself when I was with other people, never made myself and my fitness a priority, but now, if you date me, I hope I can squeeze you into my workout schedule, because that is and will now always be, one of the most important things in my life and something I will constantly want to focus on and get better at. 

If you know what title of my blog means, good for you! If not, well, read further...

"CrossFit workouts are based on functional movements, and these movements reflect the best aspects of gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and more. These are the core movements of life. They move the largest loads the longest distances, so they are ideal for maximizing the amount of work done in the shortest time. Intensity is essential for results and is measurable as work divided by time—or power. The more work you do in less time, or the higher the power output, the more intense the effort. By employing a constantly varied approach to training, functional movements and intensity lead to dramatic gains in fitness." - www.crossfit.com

I remember hearing a few friends starting Crossfit years ago and I thought (in my insanely lazy state) Why would anyone do that? These people are crazy? Stop talking about Crossfit! Don't you have lives? Etc, etc, etc. Now, I wish I had started it when they did, so I could do a Muscle Up by now! 

As you know, I have been furiously going to the gym for almost a year now. There are several Crossfit gyms in my community but I still never thought it would be something I would do. In September I ran into a friend who coaches (you know who you are), said how good I looked and how much I would LOVE Crossfit! So, when a gym in my neighbourhood (WOLVISH!!!), posted a Groupon for 16 classes for like, $45, in October, I knew this was my time to at least give it a try. Like starting anything new, I was quite nervous about going. Despite having a pretty solid workout regime, I was still worried how I would perform. After a few "intro" classes I started attending real classes and really starting to understand how people who Crossfit become obsessed with it. It is not only about the workouts, the improvements you can make by working really hard, it's also about the welcoming community Crossfit boxes across the world have, including Wolvish. I was warmly welcomed into classes, made friends, chatted people up, and tried not to sound like an idiot too much. The community is beyond anything I've ever experienced; we all suffer together, which brings everyone closer together!

I have now made the change to doing solely Crossfit, with running still a big priority as well. I have been going since the first week of November and have never been happier.
Every workout is tough, every. single one. But I have learned so much; Handstand push ups, Double Unders, Pull Ups, Rowing, and can do heavier lifts then I thought was possible for me. I am so pleased with how much I have learned in 3 short months and would love to be able to compete in another few months. The Crossfit open is starting in a few weeks, which gives those across the world a chance to compete against each other. 

If you want to find a workout regime that pushes your boundaries every single day, that takes you out of your comfort zone to learn new things, that allows you to feel apart of a crazy community, Crossfit is the way to go. Me 3 years ago would have laughed if I ever thought I would be doing this, but as I said below, I just now wish I started it sooner.
If you're in the Hintoburg area, keep an eye out for Crossfit Wolvish on Groupon, or sign up and come out to some of their intro classes. You won't be dissapointed; you'll be sweaty and exhausted, but not disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment